We have had the opportunity to lead and teach on the topic of worship for many years. We do not claim to be experts on the subject. However, we have had the privilege of learning from many wise pastors and teachers over the years. God has used them to show us truths from His Word about the wonder and glory of God and worshiping Him. We have tried to incorporate those into a framework for leading our worship team and leading our congregation in worship. Our goal is that all resources offered here would be true to Scripture and helpful in leading and building up the church. There are many resources offered by other ministries that are very helpful on this topic. We have included links to some of those resources as well and noted the source next to each.
Scripture on Worship
Scripture is full of calls, commands, and invitations to worship God. The more we read the Word, the more we will come to realize that worship is less about what we do and more about who we are. It is about who we are in Christ and that we have been called out by God, redeemed through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and set apart for the glory of God and praise of His name. We can serve, engage in endless rituals, perform endless good works, and still not truly know or worship God.
As the apostle Paul says in Romans 12, worship is an act of our entire lives. It is who we are every moment of the day. It is offering ourselves to God as a living sacrifice, to use us for His glory and purposes. We are called not to be conformed to the ways of this world, but to be transformed into the image of His Son. Worship is so much more than singing a song or attending a weekly service. It is about treasuring and pursuing Christ above all things. May we all long to be true worshipers and not just go through the motions.
Foundational Principles for Worship – Resources
These resources address foundational principles related to worship ministry in the church. We have developed some of them over the years, based on our convictions and experience in leading worship. We have also provided links to additional resources that we have found to be very helpful in laying a groundwork for worship in the church.
- Principles for Worship Ministry and Music Teams – Overview (Phil Hill)
- Foundational Principles for Worship (Phil Hill)
- Biblical Giving (Phil Hill)
- Gravity and Gladness on Sunday Morning (John Piper) – Six part series
- The God of Worship (John Piper)
- The Heart of Worship (John Piper)
- Worship – What Really Matters (Bob Kauflin)
- The Worship Leader’s Role (Bob Kauflin)
- Why Do We Sing? (Bob Kauflin)
- Healthy Tensions in Corporate Worship (Bob Kauflin)
- Jesus: Our Access into God’s Presence (Mark Mullery)
Worship/Music Teams – Resources
Leading or being part of a worship or music team is both a blessing and a challenge. Here are some resources that we have found helpful for addressing both the practical and spiritual issues related to music and worship leading ministry in the church.
- Biblical Principles for Worship Teams (Phil Hill)
- Heart Attitudes for the Worship Team (Bob Kauflin)
- Band on the Run – audio version (Bob Kauflin)
- Band on the Run – video version (Bob Kauflin)
- The Call of the Christian Musician (Bob Kauflin)
- Glad to Be a Doorkeeper (Pat Sczebel)
- Worship Band Workshop (Paul Baloche)
Here are some ministries and sites that we have found to very helpful for ministry and spiritual growth. While we are not endorsing everything on these sites, we are confident that the heart and purpose of those behind these ministries is one of pursuing Christ and helping equip the church for ministry.
- Worship Corner (CCLI)
- Desiring God
- Worship Matters
- Christian Musician Summit
- Training Resources, Inc.